Will the real Blockchain please stand up?
Financial institutions have invested money looking at Blockchain. However, there are now quite a few different approaches to Blockchain-based distributed ledgers. Which one is likely to be the best, and where will distributed ledgers play most strongly?
- Bitcoin is not Blockchain – Bitcoin destroys the full audit capabilities of a distributed ledger through the use of (insecure) Wallets.
- Blockchain is not the only distributed ledger in town – which is good, as use cases should be rendered with more mature technology where possible.
- Organisations should prepare for the inevitability of a distributed ledger.
- Providers of the competing ‘next gen’ distributed ledgers must get their acts together to form a full end-to-end capability via a standardised underlying fabric.
- The Linux Foundation Hyperledger Fabric framework is showing great strengths – and is being used in anger in the real world.