Late on in 2016, Quocirca carried out primary research for Rentokil Initial, looking at perceptions about the current and future impact the internet of things (IoT) will have on organisations. The
Impact of the IoT: From Farm to Fork
The Internet of Things (IoT) is poised to have a major impact on the food supply chain – all the way from the farm to the individual buying food from a retail outlet. Based on research carried out in late 2016, this report looks at the various areas where the IoT will enable the food supply chain to gain the maximum benefits.
- Current population growth, eating habits and farming methods are increasingly at odds with one another.
- Recognition of the IoT and cloud computing across the food supply chain is relatively low.
- Manual systems to manage issues around hygiene and pest control are still predominant across the board.
- Respondents to the research recognise the need for change.
- The need for simple to use, yet effective reporting systems is apparent.
- The IoT can be all-embracing: ensuring that a chosen path is future-proof must be an imperative.
- Cloud-based data systems, while currently untrusted, provide the best means of storing and sharing data across the constituents of the food supply chain.